Peoria Toddler Dies In 'Tragic' Accident Involving Window Blind Cords
A Peoria toddler is dead after the infant became entangled in window blind cords.
Peoria County Coroner Jamie Harwood said the 18-month-old was found unresponsive, not breathing, and without a pulse. The child was pronounced dead Saturday evening at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center.
Harwood said foul play isn't suspected.
"The death is being investigated as a very tragic accident," Harwood said.
The infant died from strangulation after the cords became wrapped around his neck.
The American Academy of Pediatrics reports that 271 children died from window blind injuries between 1990 and 2015, and more than 16,000 were injured.
Harwood said this is a tragic reminder to make sure blind cords are securely tied and out of the reach of a child.
He said his office won't release additional information about the toddler.