WCBU has earned a 2022 Regional Edward R. Murrow Award from the RTDNA (Radio Television Digital News Association). WCBU was recognized for Overall Excellence, including our daily newsmagazine All Things Peoria, morning podcast On Deck, and other coverage. WCBU has never won this particular honor before. The RTDNA first began awarding Murrows in 1971.
Regional winners like WCBU automatically move on to the national round of the competition.
Public Media Journalists Association
WCBU earned a national award from the Public Media Journalists Association (PMJA) for work completed in 2021:
- Continuing Coverage - second place - Public housing in Peoria, by Hannah Alani
Illinois News Broadcasters Association
The INBA recognized WCBU with first-place honors in two categories in the 2022 Crystal Mic Awards, in the Small Market Radio category:
- Best Station - entire staff
- Best Reporter - Joe Deacon
This is the second-straight year that WCBU has won Best Station honors in the INBA contest.
The Illinois Associated Press Broadcasters contest was discontinued after 2020, replaced with the INBA's Crystal Mic Awards.
- 2019 - Best Digital Presence - second place
- 2015 - Best Light Feature ("Music and Surgery") - first place
- 2014 - Best Spot News ("PSD 150 Controversy Persists") - first place
- 2013 - Best Newscast - first place
Previous Murrow Awards
WCBU has previously earned regional Edward R. Murrow Awards.
- 2013 - Audio Reporting: Hard News ("Peoria's Struggling Neighborhoods Get National Focus")
- 2013 - Audio Continuing Coverage ("Don't Shoot Peoria")